Ghormeh Sabzi is a popular Iranian stew made with herbs, beans, and beef or lamb. Here’s a comprehensive recipe to make it:
- 1 lb (ca. 450gr) beef or lamb, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup dried kidney beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup chopped fenugreek leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped leeks
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp dried lime powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup oil (vegetable or olive oil)
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp dried mint (optional)
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and cook until they are soft and golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and continue to cook for another minute.
- Add the beef or lamb cubes to the pan and cook until browned on all sides.
- Stir in the chopped parsley, cilantro, fenugreek leaves, leeks, turmeric, and dried lime powder. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in 4 cups of water and the drained kidney beans.
- Cover the pan and let it simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat and beans are tender. Stir occasionally.
- If desired, add the dried mint during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Serve the Ghormeh Sabzi hot over steamed rice.
Enjoy your delicious and flavorful Ghormeh Sabzi!
Here are some tips and tricks for making the perfect Ghormeh Sabzi:
- Use high-quality beef or lamb for the best flavor.
- Soaking the kidney beans overnight helps them cook faster and become more tender.
- Chop the herbs finely for a better texture in the stew.
- Use dried lime powder, not fresh lime juice, for a unique and authentic sour taste.
- Cook the stew low and slow to allow the flavors to develop and meld together.
- Use a large saucepan or Dutch oven so the ingredients have enough room to cook evenly.
- Stir the stew occasionally to prevent the ingredients from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Adjust the seasonings to taste. Add more salt, pepper, or dried lime powder if desired.
- Serve the Ghormeh Sabzi over steamed rice to soak up the delicious sauce.
- Consider adding a pinch of saffron for an extra touch of flavor and color.
By following these tips and tricks, you will be on your way to making a delicious and authentic Ghormeh Sabzi!